8 ounces (227 g, about 2 cups) uncooked elbow pasta
1/4 cup (30g) Flourish All-Purpose Flour
2 3/4 cups (624g) milk
2 cups (227g) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder, optional
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
4 tablespoons (57g) butter
2 teaspoons garlic oil, optional
2 teaspoons rosemary and thyme (measure to your taste)
1 1/2 cups (75g) Panko bread crumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Grease four 1 1/2 to 2-cup ramekins, or one 2-quart baking dish.
3. Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until al dente (slightly firmer than you would normally eat it).
4. Drain and rinse with cool water. Set aside.In a large saucepan set over medium heat, whisk together the flour, milk, and cheese powder. Bring to a boil.
5. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese and seasonings. Stir occasionally, until cheese is completely melted.
6. Stir the pasta into the cheese sauce. Spoon it into the baking dish(es).
7. Melt the butter and garlic oil together, then stir in the seasoning and panko bread crumbs.
8. Sprinkle a thick layer over the pasta and cheese.Bake the casserole for 25 to 35 minutes, until bubbly and browned. Remove from the oven, and serve hot.
Recipe Courtesy of King Arthur Baking