Get ready to elevate this classic appetizer to a whole new level with our homemade crescent roll recipe for pigs in a blanket. These flaky, golden pastries filled with savory cocktail sausages are the perfect bite-sized treat for parties, game nights, or an indulgent comfort snack. With our step-by-step recipe, you'll be able to create these irresistible crescent roll pigs in a blanket from scratch, that are guaranteed to be a home run.
For the Crescent Rolls:
- 2 and 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups Flourish flour
For the Pigs in a Blanket:
- 1 package cocktail sausages
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- Poppy seeds or sesame seeds (optional, for topping)
Prepare the Crescent Roll Dough:
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm milk and let it sit for 5 minutes until frothy.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, melted butter, salt, and 2 cups of flour. Stir in the yeast mixture.
- Gradually add the remaining flour, 1 cup at a time, until a soft dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours, or until doubled in size.
Shaping the Crescent Rolls:
- Once the dough has risen, gently punch it down to release any air bubbles.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions. Take one portion and set the other aside.
- Roll out the dough into a large circle, approximately 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife, cut the circle into 8 triangular wedges.
Assembling the Pigs in a Blanket:
- Take a cocktail sausage and place it at the wide end of each triangle.
- Roll the dough tightly around the sausage, tucking in the edges to seal it.
- Repeat this process with the remaining sausages and dough.
Final Touches and Baking:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place the crescent roll pigs in a blanket on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the tops of the rolls with beaten egg wash.
- For an optional touch, sprinkle poppy seeds or sesame seeds on top for added flavor and visual appeal.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the crescent rolls turn golden brown and the sausages are cooked through.
Serving and Enjoying:
- Remove the pigs in a blanket from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes.
- Arrange them on a platter and serve them warm with your favorite dipping sauces, such as mustard, ketchup, or barbecue sauce.
- These delightful homemade crescent roll pigs in a blanket are sure to be a hit among family and friends. Enjoy the flaky texture and savory goodness!
By taking the extra step to make your own crescent rolls, you can transform the traditional pigs in a blanket into a guest-worthy appetizer. The buttery, flaky layers of the homemade
Crescent rolls perfectly complement the savory cocktail sausages, creating a super satisfying treat. Whether you're hosting a gathering or simply craving a comforting snack, these pigs in a blanket are a must-try recipe. Give it a go, and prepare to be amazed by the irresistible combination of homemade goodness and classic flavors!