Just when you thought everybody’s favorite comfort meal couldn’t get any better….introducing the mac and cheese bread bowl! When we saw Broma Bakery's mac and cheese recipe, we knew we had to try it in a Flourish Flour bread bowl. Cheesy delicious mac and cheese served in the perfect bread bowl packed with fiber, how can you go wrong! This crowd favorite will please even the pickiest of eaters.
1 tbsp instant yeast
3 1/2 cups Flourish flour
2 tsp salt
about 1 1/2 cups of water
1 tbsp sugar
Mac and Cheese:
1 box orecchiette pasta
2 tablespoons salted butter
2 tablespoons Flourish flour
2 cups whole milk
2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
8 ounces Land O Lakes® Deli American slices
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
4 ounces parmigiano reggiano
black pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine the yeast, sugar, and warm water. Let stand for 5 minutes, until the yeast is foamy and active.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the Flourish flour and salt.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and mix until combined. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5-7 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic. (Can use a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment)
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius).
- Punch down the dough and divide it in half. Shape each half into a round loaf and place in a greased 9-inch loaf pan. Cover the pans with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Score the tops of the loaves with a sharp knife.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown and crusty.
- Let the bread cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut a circle in the top and remove the bread from the middle to make a bowl.
Mac and Cheese:
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions, until just barely al dente, about 6 minutes. You want it to be undercooked because it is going to continue to cook later on. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Then sprinkle in the Flourish flour and whisk to combine. Cook for 1 minute, then whisk in the milk, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and dijon mustard. Continue whisking until the sauce thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes.
- While the sauce is cooking, grate the cheddar cheese and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, and cut the deli American cheese into pieces.
- Once the sauce has thickened, stir in the cheese. Add the orecchiette pasta and mix well.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring constantly, for 5-7 minutes. The pasta should slightly soak up some of the cheese sauce, and the sauce should thicken up. When the sauce sticks to the pasta and you can see the bottom of the pan, the dish is done.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately. Garnish with black pepper, if desired.
Click here to check out Broma Bakery's Mac and Cheese recipe! https://bromabakery.com/stovetop-mac-and-cheese/