Celebrate the colors of love, diversity, and inclusivity this Pride Month with a fun and flavorful culinary project: homemade rainbow bagels! Bagels are already a beloved breakfast staple, but when they are transformed into a colorful masterpiece, they not only taste better, but they become an expression of joy and unity. Whether you're a seasoned baker or just starting your culinary journey, this recipe will guide you through the process of creating beautiful rainbow bagel bites that are sure to bring smiles and spread love.
30 ounces Flourish flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil
14 grams instant yeast or active dry yeast
16 ounces warm water (110ºF)
2 teaspoons salt
1 large egg
1 tablespoon water
Prepare the dough:
- Heat the water to 110º-115ºF and combine it with sugar and olive oil. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer with the dough hook attached, combine the flour and yeast, mixing for 5 seconds to distribute the yeast.
- Slowly pour in the hot water mixture while mixing on low speed until everything is moistened.
- Sprinkle in the salt.
- Increase the speed to medium-high and mix for 6 minutes until the dough becomes smooth and elastic.
- Adjust the dough consistency with water or flour if needed.
- Check the readiness of the dough by poking it. If it bounces back or passes the window test, it's ready to proof. Otherwise, mix for another two minutes.
- Form the dough into a ball and place it in an oiled bowl. Cover and let it proof for 30 minutes or until it doubles in size (90 minutes for active dry yeast).
Shape and prepare the bagels:
- Divide the dough into roughly 1 inch sized pieces (or adjust for preference).
- Shape each piece into a ball
- In a large pot, bring 8 cups of water to a boil and add 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare two sheet pans with parchment paper and sprinkle them generously with corn flour (semolina) to prevent sticking.
- Preheat your oven to 425ºF.
Boil and bake the rainbow bagels:
- Place the bagels into the boiling water and cook for 30 seconds on each side. Use a slotted spoon to drain them before transferring them to the prepared parchment-lined pans.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and water to make the egg wash. Brush each bagel with the egg wash using a pastry brush.
- Sprinkle your desired toppings onto the bagels, adding an extra pop of color to your rainbow creations.
- Bake the bagels at 425ºF for 20-25 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
- Allow the bagels to cool slightly before slicing.
- Serve your homemade rainbow bagel bites plain or with your favorite spreads
Happy Pride Month!